If you've been thinking about signing up for Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) shares, now is the time. Please sign up directly with the farm. Most farms sell out their shares by the end of March.
GHC, WPS, and many other health insurance plans offer a wellness reimbursement of up to $200 per family for CSA shares. You can choose any farm that provides a CSA option. Find a pick-up location near you by searching on the FairShare CSA Coalition Map.
Madison College partners with Troy Community Farm to deliver fresh veggies to the Truax campus on Fridays from 12 - 2 pm during the growing season (June through October).
Troy Community Farm CSA Rates for 2016:
- Weekly Standard Share: $630 (full box every week)
- Every Other Week Share: $390 (full box every other week)
- Egg Share: Weekly $100 / Biweekly $50
For Friday deliveries to Truax, please send your registration form with payment directly to Troy Community Farm.
How to make it more affordable:
- Split a share with a co-worker, neighbor, or friend
- Choose a custom payment plan with installment option
- Get partial reimbursement from your health insurance company (Typical wellness reimbursements are $100 to $200 per year)
Questions? Contact Lisa Lanting.
Published March 10, 2016.
The Therapeutic Massage Clinic is will be available for scheduling online appointments starting Sunday, March 13.
The spring clinic will be open Tuesday, March 22 through Wednesday, May 11.
The student clinic is located at
1705 Hoffman Street, Room #141, Madison, WI 53704
It is on the first floor, Room 141.
The student clinic will be open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from
March 22 through May 11.
The clinic will be closed on Thursday, April 7.
Appointment times are as follows:
9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 4 p.m., and 5:45 p.m.
Parking: There will be parking in the lot marked “Clinic Parking”, or “Visitor Parking”, and “GHC Parking.” You are able to park in all areas.
These areas are gated, just press the button and someone will answer; announce that you are visiting the Student Massage clinic for an appointment and they will open the gate.
Published March 7, 2016.
On Wednesday, March 9, the Dalai Lama will visit Madison for a rare and special event entitled “The World We Make” from 1:30 to 3 p.m. The venue is sold out, but the program will be broadcast live via web.
Mark your calendar: At Truax, we will gather in room C2402 to watch this together. If you’d like to watch this from a different location, sign up for the web stream here.
Learn how each one of us can alter humanity’s course by cultivating well-being in ourselves, at Madison College, in our communities, and in the world.
Other presenters include:
- Dr. Richard Davidson from UW Center for Healthy Minds
- Dr. Sona Dimidjian from University of Colorado Boulder
- Dr. Soma Stout from the Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Dan Harris from ABC News and Good Morning America
Questions? Contact Lisa Lanting.
Published March 4, 2016. Updated March 7, 2016.
All employees and students are welcome to participate in the Spring Wellness Challenge that runs until May 15. We will have a drawing each month for these great prizes:
- Fitbit Flex
- Yoga kit: mat, towel, block, and strap
- Fitbit Aria wi-fi scale
- $100 “Kindness in Action” Award – learn more at KindSpring.org
In February, Casey Slaney from the Downtown campus won a yoga kit and Jacob McCann (student) won a Fitbit Flex!
The Spring Wellness Challenge includes two components:
- Free access to Whil.com and the free Whil app with guided meditations to calm the mind, strengthen the body, and boost leadership skills
- Spreading acts of kindness with Smile Cards
How to join the challenge:
- Sign up at whil.com/team/matc with your madisoncollege.edu email
- Go to your email to confirm your account
- Download the free app for your phone or tablet from the App Store or Google Play (or you can use the web version of Whil.com on your computer)
- Log in and try some guided meditations!
- Spread acts of kindness with Smile Cards (available at front desks across the College)
Tell us about acts of kindness you have seen or done!
Use hashtag #KindnessMC on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, or you can email your story to Lisa Lanting.
If you need some ideas on how to use Smile Cards at Madison College, consider these:
- Send an anonymous note of appreciation
- Donate a meal to a student in need
- Pay for the person behind you in line
- Leave a flower with a kind note
- Buy a car wash for someone
- Give a gift certificate for a massage at the Massage Clinic at Truax
Contact Lisa Lanting.
Published February 29, 2016.
Do you want to learn more about how to manage stress; reduce worry and anxiety; and improve your sleep? Are you interested in building your confidence and ability to communicate better with others? Whil can help!
The Whil app is available for free for all Madison College employees and students until Sunday, May 15. Download Whil to your computer, smartphone or both. Modules can be completed at your own pace whether you have one minute, five minutes or an hour.
Popular training session downloads this week include titles such as: Become a Sleep Ninja, Calm Anxiety and Resilience.
Sign up today - give Whil a try. This offer is valued at over $50.
To sign up, visit Whil’s website. Enter your Madison College email - log in to your Madison College email and start using Whil to improve your health and well-being.
Published February 26, 2016.