If you've been thinking about signing up for Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) shares, now is the time. Please sign up directly with the farm. Most farms sell out their shares by the end of March.
GHC, WPS, and many other health insurance plans offer a wellness reimbursement of up to $200 per family for CSA shares. You can choose any farm that provides a CSA option. Find a pick-up location near you by searching on the FairShare CSA Coalition Map.
Madison College partners with Troy Community Farm to deliver fresh veggies to the Truax campus on Fridays from 12 - 2 pm during the growing season (June through October).
Troy Community Farm CSA Rates for 2016:
- Weekly Standard Share: $630 (full box every week)
- Every Other Week Share: $390 (full box every other week)
- Egg Share: Weekly $100 / Biweekly $50
For Friday deliveries to Truax, please send your registration form with payment directly to Troy Community Farm.
How to make it more affordable:
- Split a share with a co-worker, neighbor, or friend
- Choose a custom payment plan with installment option
- Get partial reimbursement from your health insurance company (Typical wellness reimbursements are $100 to $200 per year)
Questions? Contact Lisa Lanting.
Published March 10, 2016.
The Therapeutic Massage Clinic is will be available for scheduling online appointments starting Sunday, March 13.
The spring clinic will be open Tuesday, March 22 through Wednesday, May 11.
The student clinic is located at
1705 Hoffman Street, Room #141, Madison, WI 53704
It is on the first floor, Room 141.
The student clinic will be open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from
March 22 through May 11.
The clinic will be closed on Thursday, April 7.
Appointment times are as follows:
9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 4 p.m., and 5:45 p.m.
Parking: There will be parking in the lot marked “Clinic Parking”, or “Visitor Parking”, and “GHC Parking.” You are able to park in all areas.
These areas are gated, just press the button and someone will answer; announce that you are visiting the Student Massage clinic for an appointment and they will open the gate.
Published March 7, 2016.
On Wednesday, March 9, the Dalai Lama will visit Madison for a rare and special event entitled “The World We Make” from 1:30 to 3 p.m. The venue is sold out, but the program will be broadcast live via web.
Mark your calendar: At Truax, we will gather in room C2402 to watch this together. If you’d like to watch this from a different location, sign up for the web stream here.
Learn how each one of us can alter humanity’s course by cultivating well-being in ourselves, at Madison College, in our communities, and in the world.
Other presenters include:
- Dr. Richard Davidson from UW Center for Healthy Minds
- Dr. Sona Dimidjian from University of Colorado Boulder
- Dr. Soma Stout from the Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Dan Harris from ABC News and Good Morning America
Questions? Contact Lisa Lanting.
Published March 4, 2016. Updated March 7, 2016.
All employees and students are welcome to participate in the Spring Wellness Challenge that runs until May 15. We will have a drawing each month for these great prizes:
- Fitbit Flex
- Yoga kit: mat, towel, block, and strap
- Fitbit Aria wi-fi scale
- $100 “Kindness in Action” Award – learn more at KindSpring.org
In February, Casey Slaney from the Downtown campus won a yoga kit and Jacob McCann (student) won a Fitbit Flex!
The Spring Wellness Challenge includes two components:
- Free access to Whil.com and the free Whil app with guided meditations to calm the mind, strengthen the body, and boost leadership skills
- Spreading acts of kindness with Smile Cards
How to join the challenge:
- Sign up at whil.com/team/matc with your madisoncollege.edu email
- Go to your email to confirm your account
- Download the free app for your phone or tablet from the App Store or Google Play (or you can use the web version of Whil.com on your computer)
- Log in and try some guided meditations!
- Spread acts of kindness with Smile Cards (available at front desks across the College)
Tell us about acts of kindness you have seen or done!
Use hashtag #KindnessMC on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, or you can email your story to Lisa Lanting.
If you need some ideas on how to use Smile Cards at Madison College, consider these:
- Send an anonymous note of appreciation
- Donate a meal to a student in need
- Pay for the person behind you in line
- Leave a flower with a kind note
- Buy a car wash for someone
- Give a gift certificate for a massage at the Massage Clinic at Truax
Contact Lisa Lanting.
Published February 29, 2016.
Do you want to learn more about how to manage stress; reduce worry and anxiety; and improve your sleep? Are you interested in building your confidence and ability to communicate better with others? Whil can help!
The Whil app is available for free for all Madison College employees and students until Sunday, May 15. Download Whil to your computer, smartphone or both. Modules can be completed at your own pace whether you have one minute, five minutes or an hour.
Popular training session downloads this week include titles such as: Become a Sleep Ninja, Calm Anxiety and Resilience.
Sign up today - give Whil a try. This offer is valued at over $50.
To sign up, visit Whil’s website. Enter your Madison College email - log in to your Madison College email and start using Whil to improve your health and well-being.
Published February 26, 2016.
It's time to start planning for next year's vision, medical and daycare expenses.
Watch your mailbox at home and your Workday Inbox. Open enrollment for vision insurance and flexible spending accounts (FSA) started Monday, Nov. 2, and ends Monday, Nov. 23.
NEW! Easier enrollment, no paper:
- On Monday, Nov. 2, part-time PSRP and full-time employees received an "Open Enrollment Change" task in their Workday Inbox. Here's the job aid on how to find your inbox in Workday.
- All employees must "elect" or "waive" coverage in Workday. Here's the job aid on how to elect or waive coverage.
Who is eligible to enroll?
- Health Care FSA: full-time employees
- Dependent Care FSA: part-time PSRP and full-time employees
- Voluntary Vision Insurance: part-time PSRP and full-time employees
Learn more about these benefits here:
Questions? Contact the Help Desk by email or at (608) 246-6666 so we can log all of the questions and improve communications.
Published October 27, 2015. Updated November 13, 2015.
Join us on Wednesday, October 14, from 12:00 to 12:30 p.m. for a special mindfulness session with Lisa Cappelli.
This is free and open to all employees and students. No registration required; just drop in.
Lisa will focus on a meditation technique called shamatha or ‘peaceful abiding’. She will guide us through a mindfulness meditation using our breathing to calm our minds and work with our thoughts. Mindfulness meditation practice is an opportunity for us to cultivate a natural sense of peace, relaxation and clarity. It can lead to developing a greater sense of friendship with ourselves and give us practical tools for dealing with stress and difficulty in our everyday lives.
Lisa Cappelli, RN MS CHPN, has been a full time faculty member in the Nursing Program at Madison College for thirteen years. She is a Certified Hospice and Palliative Care Nurse and has specialized in end of life care for over sixteen years. Lisa began to study and practice meditation in 1987 and is a Meditation Instructor and teacher at the Shambhala Meditation Center of Madison. She is a student of Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and has participated in research at The Center for Investigating Healthy Minds based at UW-Madison.
There are three weekly mindfulness practice sessions this semester:
- Mondays from 11:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. in the Bamboo Room 131, Health Education Building, Truax Campus
- Tuesdays from 2-2:20 p.m. in Room D302 at the Downtown Campus
- Wednesdays from 12-12:30 p.m. in the Bamboo Room 131, Health Education Building, Truax Campus
Contact Lisa Lanting.
Published October 6, 2015. Updated October 7, 2015.
Save a trip to the clinic; get your flu shot at Truax. Our nursing students and faculty will be giving flu shots alongside GHC nurses on October 6-7. This is a great opportunity to support our student nurses and give them valuable clinical experience.
Tuesday, October 6
10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
in the Health Education Building
Wednesday, October 7
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
in the Redsten Gym
On these two days, students may get free flu shots.
For employees, there is no charge if the flu shot is billed to WPS, GHC, or Medicare/Medicaid. If you have Dean, Unity, or PPlus, they may not pay for a flu shot at Madison College, so please get a flu shot in their network.
The cost is $30 if it is not billed to WPS, GHC, or Medicare/Medicaid. Please bring your insurance card. Students may also get a flu shot for $13 at the GHC clinic at Truax.
These walk-in flu shot clinics are not open to children or family members - please ask family members to schedule a flu shot at the GHC clinic at Truax.
Published September 16, 2015. Updated October 7, 2015.
Madison BCycle has just installed a new bike-sharing station at the Health Education building at Truax. A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held on Thursday, October 1st at the Madison College BCycle station.
To celebrate the new station, BCycle is offering FREE annual memberships to all students and employees who sign up by December 31, 2015. This is a $65 value.
With a BCycle membership, you will have access to 350 bikes at 40 stations in Madison.
How does BCycle work?
Once you have a membership, you may check out a bike from any BCycle station. Take unlimited free trips around town - just return the bike to another station within 30-minutes to avoid additional charges.
How to get a free membership
1. Go to https://madison.bcycle.com/ by December 31, 2015.
2. Click on “Join Now.”
3. Use your @madisoncollege.edu email address when you create your account.
4. Select $65 Annual Membership and enter one of these Promotion Codes:
- Employees use code MATCSTAFFFREE
- Students use code MATCSTUDENTFREE
5. Enter a credit card that will be kept on file in case you go over the 30-minute time limit for each trip.
Note: You will not be charged the $65 membership fee if you enter the promotional code.
6. Download the free mobile app BCycle Now to find nearby bikes and stations.
The Madison College BCycle station marks the realization of a goal set by the Student Senate in 2012 to bring bike sharing to the campus. “The installation of this BCycle Station is a symbol of the student leader vision, influence and determination,” said Jackie Dahlke, Coordinator of the Student Life Team at Madison College and Student Senate Advisor. Capital costs for the station are supported by the College, with annual operating costs supported in partnership with the Student Activities Board. The station demonstrates the dedication of the campus to wellness, environmental sustainability and commuter alternatives.
Published September 16, 2015. Updated November 5, 2015.
Free 55-minute yoga class sessions will be held in room 131 of the Health Education Building.
Classes will be available:
- Tuesday, Sept. 15, and Thursday, Sept. 17, at 11:30 a.m.
- Monday, Sept. 14, and Wednesday, Sept. 16, at 4:30 p.m.
Aspects of therapeutic yoga are also included.
Published September 9, 2015. Updated September 17, 2015.