Madison College Employees,
Parking is frustrating, limited, and presents a challenge for our entire campus community. In the fall of 2019, we are looking to make several changes in processes and facilities to streamline the parking situation throughout the Truax campus. After considering feedback and guidance this past year through shared governance, Public Safety advisory teams, and the 10-year Facilities Master Plan process, the following initiatives will be implemented as part of a multi-year, multi-faceted approach to improving the parking experience on campus:
- New parking and parking renovations:
- We are replacing the tennis courts on Straubel St. with 220 new parking spaces this summer.
- The existing Straubel St. parking will be resurfaced, restriped, and new lighting installed.
- We are coordinating with the City of Madison to repair and resurface Straubel St. itself.
- We are evaluating additional locations for adding parking on campus.
- New employee parking designations:
- Effective August 26, 2019, anyone with an employee parking permit may park in the courtyards north of the main building, parking lots east of the main building, and all current parking north of the building across the stream (see highlighted areas on map below).
- This means there will be no separate designated “Administrator” parking; any parking areas designated for Employees Only will be first-come, first-served.
- Employee parking permits can be obtained from the Public Safety service window on the first floor or the main building.
- The Foundation Center will continue to have physical permits only for employees who work there.
- Visitor Lot: During the referendum, around 2010, the College created a separate, gated Visitor Lot by the Health/IT building. Over time, employees began using this lot, to the point where now there is often not parking for actual visitors. Effective August 26, 2019, only visitors will be permitted access to this lot.
- All other parking will be General Parking, and will not require a permit.
- In addition to Employee Only parking, employees may park in any General Parking lot.
- Students and visitors may also park in any General Parking lot, without a permit.
- Enforcement is also important for the safety, fairness, and convenience of all commuters:
- Parking outside of designated parking stalls will result in citations being issued. Without exception, this includes parking along curbs, striped yellow areas, and any areas outside of parking stalls will result in ticketing.
- Unpaid citations will be submitted to the Traffic Violator Reporting Program (TVRP) administered by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation; continued unpaid citations may lead to vehicle registration being suspended.
- Although it is very rarely used, the College does have a towing policy. If a vehicle has more than five (5) tickets assessed against the registration in a single semester, or the vehicle is egregiously parked such that is endangering the safety or mobility of others, the College may tow the vehicle at the owner’s expense.
If there are any questions about parking at Madison College please visit: https://madisoncollege.edu/parking or call the Public Safety office at (608) 246-6932.