Headlines

President Daniels sheds light on Truax incident

Dear Madison College community,

I wanted to let you know about a minor fire incident that occurred in our main Truax building this past Saturday evening.

During an event that was taking place in the Redsten gymnasium, a roll of toilet paper was set on fire in the men’s bathroom in the hallway. Public Safety officers responded to the alarm instantly, and contained the fire until the Madison Fire Department arrived and put it out completely. The building was evacuated and no one was harmed. Video evidence of a suspect was handed over to Madison Police and Fire Departments. Although the small fire was contained to a few square feet in only one bathroom stall, due to the nature of the material (toilet paper) there was a lot of smoke and ash. Although you may smell a little bit of smoke if you walk down that particular hallway, ventilation systems have been operating around the clock, and there is no threat to air quality in the building.

I am grateful for all of the staff who responded into late Saturday night and have worked to restore the facilities over the weekend. Although this was a relatively minor incident, I wanted to make sure you had all of the information in case you smelled a little smoke, or heard about the incident and wanted to know the facts.

If you have any further questions, you may contact our Director of Public Safety, John Flannery, at jflannery1@madisoncollege.edu, call the Public Safety line directly at 608.245.2222, or stop by the Public Safety window in the main hall, first floor, Truax.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jack Daniels, III, Ph.D.
President

Mark Thomas
Vice President of Administration and Chief Financial Officer

 

 

Published April 29, 2019.