The Facilities Planning and Investment Council has been working hard preparing the 2018 Facilities Master Plan.
Over the past year, with the assistance of Plunkett Raysich Architects, the Facilities Council assessed current facilities needs throughout the district to recommend future changes. This information, along with surveys, interviews, focus groups, and meetings identified more than 500 possible facility project ideas. These major needs emerged:
- Flexibility — There is a need for spaces that can accommodate many needs.
- Existing spaces — Issues brought forward do not indicate a need for new facilities. They are about using existing spaces to meet current and future needs.
- Collaboration — Today’s industries work collaboratively across disciplines. This is illustrated in the Makerspace and Entrepreneurship Center project ideas.
- Technology and innovation — We are training students for careers that don’t even exist yet. We need spaces that will allow us to quickly adapt to industry needs.
- Strategic planning — Upgrades of facilities to meet student needs happen every year. The FMP addresses needs in a long-range, strategic manner and allows us to avoid reactionary short-term solutions.
The Facilities Planning and Investment Council will submit the final Facilities Master Plan to the District Board for acceptance in November 2018. More about the plan and the council's work is on its YouTube page.
For more information, email FPICouncil@madisoncollege.edu.
Published June 6, 2018.