The new College Assembly gathered Wednesday, May 30, 2018.
Dr. Daniels attended and briefly addressed the group. He acknowledged the recent Assembly election and council appointments.
Dr. Daniels then announced that he has appointed Mark Thomas as the new Assembly co-chair. Thomas will take over the seat previously held by Dr. Keith Cornille.
The president is still selecting a co-chair for the Professional Development (formerly Employee Relations and Professional Development) Council. In his first official act as Assembly co-chair, Thomas asked for nominations for the elected Assembly co-chair seat.
Members nominated Penny Johnson (full-time faculty), Mike Kent (part-time faculty) and Laura Osinski (full-time faculty and Assembly co-chair for the previous term).
Assembly members interviewed the nominees on a range of topics. When Johnson withdrew her nomination, the questioning of Osinski and Kent continued until it was time for the Assembly to vote. Osinski was elected to serve a second term as Assembly co-chair.
Each council then shared a brief update, starting with the announcement that Sylvia Ramirez will serve as the new Finance Council co-chair.
Other council updates included:
- Finance Council is working on a communication policy in relation to the budget and budget planning.
- IT Council is in the early stages of an academic software management policy.
- Institutional Effectiveness Council is still choosing a new issue to tackle.
- Diversity and Community Relations Council is exploring data gathering methods and expanding further into community relations.
- Professional Development Council is working with new councils on establishing their specific roles and goals.
Published June 6, 2018.