Technology Services will be performing a mandatory upgrade of Windows 10 on physical workstations. The goal is to have this completed by February 1, 2019.
Technology Services offers the following information and recommendations:
- A pop-up menu will appear each time an employee logs on. Employees will have the option to start the upgrade now or later.
- All applications and data will be preserved.
- The upgrade will take 1-2 hours and will restart the computer several times. The process will take 3 hours if employees use a Surface Pro.
- If upgrading a laptop, be sure it is plugged in for the entire process.
- Employees will not be able to use their workstations during the upgrade.
- It is recommended to start the upgrade at the end of a work day, during a meeting or while on a long lunch.
- Employees can start the upgrade any time by using the now available, desktop shortcut.
- Employees will continue to see the alert until the upgrade is complete.
- The upgrade must be done on campus. The upgrade can be started off campus but won’t function without a connection to college servers.
By April 2019, Microsoft will stop publishing updates for this version of Windows 10. If the upgrade is not completed by then, systems will be updated automatically by Technology Services.
Contact the Technology Services Help Desk with questions, at extension 6666.
Published January 9, 2019.