In the days just before the Atrium Café opened for the start of the semester, the Matters team spoke with Jason Walker, the college's Food Service executive chef. They learned about the different food items now available — old favorites and exciting new options.
- Stone fired pizzas that are made to order. (11 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
- A farm-to-table eatery that will serve minimally processed, locally sourced foods. This venue will open Monday, Jan. 23. (8 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- International choices with a rotating menu of favorites from around the world (11 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Delicatessen with made-to-order cold and grilled panini sandwiches (11 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
- Expanded salad bar (11 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
- A grill with custom burgers, grilled chicken sandwiches, fries, chicken tenders and other favorites, plus a few new offerings. Breakfast sandwiches will be served in the morning (8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
- Entrees, with comfort food, hot breakfast and hot entrees on a four-week rotation. The Friday fish fry will return (8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
- Stand-alone coffee shop featuring Starbucks coffee, including Frappuccino and espresso. Gourmet ice cream can also be purchased at the shop's registers. (7 a.m. – 7 p.m.)
The remodel not only provides new food venues but also a spacious, comfortable place for students and staff to eat. It has seating for 450 people and has large, south-facing windows.
"It's fresh, it's airy, it's well-lit," Walker said of the new space. "Sunlight makes a big deal."